Many years of observation and suffering from hurricanes and floods taught us that the only way to minimize aftermaths is to prepare for future disasters thoroughly. Considering the huge damage brought by floods to whole communities (Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and California) the effective preparation action plan to be performed within the year has been created. For those who live in areas regularly succumbing to storms and flash floods, several precaution steps are essential for security and property protection. Do not disregard recommendations and realize them right now. Early preparation is the key to reduce the risk of injury and property damage. If you expect floods in your areas don’t hesitate to call a local professional restoration company for help on preparation for a storm or for restoration after it.
Preparation Steps for Protecting from Flood
If you have experienced the frequent flooding in your area the better decision is to prepare for it in advance. A huge flash flood is able to destroy the house just in a couple of hours. The recommended steps are the following:
- Ensure you have a sump pump and it works properly. If you don’t have it make a respective investment. The sump pump’s main purpose is to handle excess water removing it from the lowest places in the house. The average tool usually works from a 12-volt battery. The best place for installment is a basement.
- Check the electricity components’ location. It’s a good idea to hire a professional electrician for raising sockets, switches, and circuit breakers for at least 12” higher than possible flood elevation. Such precautions allow protection of the whole wiring from breakdown, avoid the expensive restoration, and protect the family from electrocution.
- An important step is to ensure the basement, windows, or other entrances to the lowest point of the house are protected from water. The minimum measures are to ensure storm drains and gutters are clear.
- Create or buy a special disaster kit, which will help you to keep your family (including pets) safe. Ensure it includes enough water and non-perishable food for consuming for at least 3 days, drugs, warm clothes, flashlights, radio, and additional batteries, personal documents. A good point is to include the kit flotation devices and life vests.
- Frequently check your disaster kit and make replacements, if necessary.
- Be aware. The situation over the flooding should be thoroughly monitored. This is why we recommended to include in the disaster kit a radio. Connect to the local or national weather station for receiving updates and act accordingly, if, for example, the flood will stop or vice versa the evacuation details will be communicated.
Insurance as an additional step
The wise thing to do for those people living in the locations frequently suffering from flooding is to invest in the insurance covering flood, as the average insurance doesn’t cover it. It will bring extra expenses, although can save you money for the restoration work if your house will be damaged by the water. The National Flood Insurance Program allows everyone to secure the property from the flood. They provide all the necessary details by phone.
If you faced flood damage, contact our Signature Water and Fire Restoration for help. We do our job quickly with high quality, allowing homeowners to get back to normal life in a very short period.