Let’s start with terrifying statistic data to understand how serious is the issue of fires and especially fires in residential houses for our country:
- Every 24 seconds the United States Fire Department gets information about a new fire;
- Every 66 seconds comes information about a structure fire;
- And every 90 seconds – about a residential house fire.
These numbers are really terrifying. This is why we decided to inform all of you with the information below. This info may open your eyes to the question of fire safety in your residential building, help to be careful, and avoid a disaster.
Leading Causes of Fires in Residential Buildings
Let’s explore these causes. All of them are well-known and probably will not surprise anyone. But unfortunately, it does not help to reduce their frequency.
The most common reason for residential house fires are cooking. It is also the main cause of the home fire injuries and the second main cause of home fire death. The statistic looks like this:
· 47% of all residential houses fires caused by cooking (The leading factor that leads to such types of fires is unattended cooking);
· 45% of all home fire injuries caused by it also (Over 50% of these injuries people gets when they try to fight the fire themselves);
· As well as 20% of all home fire death (The leader in this category is smoking at home, moreover, it is a leader of this top for decades).
Here is the relevant statistic:
· 15% of all residential houses fires caused by heating equipment (The second place. Portable and fixed space heaters, including a wood stove, are involved in more fires than central heat);
· 19% of all home fire death caused by it also (Heating equipment was involved in 1 out of every 5 home fire death);
· As well as 12% of all home fire injuries (Right after cooking fire).
Electrical Disturbing or Lighting Equipment
The statistic let us know the following:
· Electrical disturbing or lighting equipment, such as fixed wiring, meters, switches, receptacles, outlets, cords, plugs, and so on, are causes 9% of all residential houses fires;
· 10% of all home fire injuries caused by it also (The third most common);
· As well as 18% of all home fire death (Electrical factors can play role in any fire involving equipment powered by electricity).
According to FBI information, nearly 1 out of every 3 people was arrested for arson in recent years under 18 years old.
The intentional fire caused:
· 8% of all residential houses fires caused by intentional fire;
· 7% of all home fire injuries caused by it also;
· As well as 15% of all home fire death.
Unworking Smoke Detection Materials
Almost all the homes in our country have a smoke alarm or even a couple or more of them. But 5 out of every 5 home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with an unworking smoke alarm or without it at all. It means that:
· 22% of all home fire death caused by it;
· As well as 10% of all home fire injuries;
· And 10% of all residential houses fires.
We hope that all of this number will help you understand how simple mistakes or negligence may lead to significant aftermath. So it is much easier to keep all of these reasons checked to avoid disaster.
But in case your residential house faced fire, call Signature Water and Fire Restoration to let our team solve this issue and restore all of the damaged areas. Here is our 24/7 phone number: 1-224-515-0100.