The average United States citizen’s knowledge about the mold probably is not so deep and wide. We do know that mold can grow in the bathroom or on the old bread, and for most of us, knowledge about mold ends there. Do you know that mold is all around us and all premises of your residential house are susceptible to it? And it is a completely natural situation.
Mold becomes an issue when it gets a favorable environment for growth. Darkness, humidity, moisture, and food source make the environment favorable for the mold. And if you try to analyze your residential house for premises with such a set of factors, the attic will surely be on the list.
Please be noticed that mold can be dangerous for you and your family members’ health, so in case you noticed its growth on the attic or any other premises of your house, please call professional specialists and let them do their job.
Common Reasons for Mold Growth on the Attic
Below you will be able to find a list of such reasons that we prepared for you:
- The main reason is the attic’s close proximity to the roof and, respectively, to the outdoors. In case there is a leak or a crack on the roof or even a number of them, it increases the level of moisture and allows more and more mold spores to settle and grow in the dark attic. This problem becomes even worse without a good enough level of attic ventilation;
- Insufficient or no isolation. The attic’s floor needs to be insulated in a proper way to avoid a risk of entering the attic of moisture and heat from the residential house’s premises located below. Such insulation helps to prevent or at least reduce the risk of mold growth on the attic.
- Improper installation of ventilation ducts from the bathroom or kitchen. Unfortunately, in numerous residential houses, this ventilation ducts lead right into the attic and provides mold spores there with humidity and heat. To prevent such an issue as mold growth, these ducts need to discharge outside;
- Lack of good enough ventilation in your attic. Poor ventilation can easily become the cause of black mold growth on your attic because it traps dead air and creating condensation in the decking.
Tips to Prevent Mold Growth on the Attic
A goal to prevent mold growth in your residential house, especially on the attic, can be really hard to achieve. Do not forget that inhalation of mold spores can be dangerous for your health and health of your family members. So in case you already faced the issue of mold growth, better and safer will be to call professionals to handle it.
Here is a list of actions that you can do by yourself to prevent mold growth on your attic:
- Keep your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system’s drain is clean and free from any dirt, grass, and debris;
- Keep your gutters clean and free from any type of debris that can become the cause of standing water and, respectively, roof leaks;
- In case you identified a leak from the roof, wall, or fixture, you need to perform reparation works as soon as possible. Moisture that enters into this leak into your attic or any other area in your residential house can cause mold growth there.
As we already mentioned above, in case the attic or any other area of your residential house in Illinois got affected by mold growth, call Signature Water and Fire Restoration, and our professional team will help you to handle this issue. Here is our 24/7 phone number: 1-224-515-0100.